American national kills three in Lahore
Lahore: An employee of the US consulate
in this eastern Pakistani city opened fire and drove his
vehicle at a high speed to evade an apparent robbery, killing
three persons in a busy commercial area, police said.
The firing by the US national - identified by police
as Raymond David, a member of the staff at the American
consulate - killed two men who were apparently trying to rob
A third man on a motorcycle was killed when he was hit
by David`s vehicle as he attempted to leave the Mozang area of
Lahore. David`s car was intercepted by two alleged robbers,
Lahore Police spokesman Niyab Haider said.
"I opened fire in self-defence," David was quoted as
saying by the spokesman. Haider said a pistol was recovered
from the two men who allegedly tried to rob the US national.
Superintendent of Police (Operations) Umar Saeed too
confirmed the men who intercepted the American were armed.
Police took David into custody after the incident
though no case has been registered against him, officials
said. Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif took notice of the
incident and directed officials to take action against the US
national according to international conventions, TV news
Footage on television showed that the front windscreen
of the US national`s car was punctured by several bullets.
The rear windscreen was shattered.
Witnesses said they had seen the two armed trying to
hold up the US national. They said they had then seen the
American firing at the two men. The US national took photos of
the two men after they fell to the ground on being hit by
bullets, the witnesses said.
The American spoke in Urdu and told people who
surrounded his car that he had acted in self-defence, they
said. People protested in the area after the incident and
burnt tyres to block roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar