Amnesty calls on Sharif to probe human rights abuses in Pak
London: Human rights organisation Amnesty International has called on PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, who is set to take over as Prime Minister of Pakistan, to investigate all human rights abuses as soon as his government is formed.
Sharif emerged victorious in the country`s elections last weekend.
"We want to congratulate Nawaz Sharif and the people of Pakistan who showed tremendous courage in turning out to cast their votes despite threats to their life. But we remain very concerned about the violence in the run up to the election day and reports that in some districts women were prevented from voting.
"All these incidents must be thoroughly investigated by the authorities and the new government as soon as it is formed," Mustafa Qadri, Amnesty International`s Pakistan Researcher, said here.
"Our key concern is that perpetrators of human rights abuses must be brought to justice, specifically in tribal areas, and all cases of torture and kidnappings investigated. The broad sweeping powers given to the military in some areas is also of deep concern," he added.
Four blasts had rocked Karachi as people voted, killing 14 people and wounding dozens. Across the country, at least 29 people were reportedly killed in election day violence on May 11.
However, despite the pre-election attacks, voters lined up at polling stations nationwide to ensure the first transition between civilian governments in the nation`s 65-year history.
"Freedom of expression remains under threat in Pakistan and attacks on journalists are a reality. The new government must now ensure that the media is allowed to be free," Qadri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31