Angry Afghans chop off ears of bomb suspect
Kandahar: Angry residents in the southern
Afghan province of Helmand on Thursday chopped off the ears of a man
accused of planting a roadside bomb that killed two civilians,
an official said.
Two teenagers were killed and six others, including three
children, were wounded earlier today when a blast tore through
their vehicle in Garmser district, Helmand provincial
spokesman Daud Ahmadi said.
"Following the incident the residents of the area arrested
the alleged mine planter and wanted to hang him in public,"
Police and the local district governor were forced to
intervene to save the man`s life, but the furious residents
had already cut off his ears, Ahmadi said.
More than 3,000 civilians were killed in the war in
Afghanistan in 2011, according to the United Nations, with
Taliban insurgents blamed for the bulk of the deaths.
"This is a warning for those who kill our people every
day, we won`t tolerate their actions anymore," a resident of
the area, Mullah Mansoor, said.
Crude and cheaply made improvised bombs are the Taliban`s
favourite weapon in their decade-long war against Afghan and
NATO forces but they often miss their targets and hit
civilians using the same roads.
The Taliban were in power between 1996 and 2001 but were
toppled in a US-led invasion for sheltering al Qaeda leader
Osama bin Laden after the September 11 attacks on the United
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm