Another Islamist leader to face `war crimes` trial
Dhaka: A fifth Islamist leader in Bangladesh is set to face "war crimes" trial on charges of targetting unarmed civilians during the 1971 freedom movement.
Bangladesh`s International Crimes Tribunal Wednesday directed the authorities concerned to produce Jamaat-e-Islami vice chief Delwar Hossain Sayedee before it coming Tuesday.
The three-member tribunal headed by Justice Nizanul Huq fixed August 10 to hold the hearing on the petition filed by the prosecution seeking its direction to issue arrest warrant against Sayedee, Star Online, website of The Daily Star newspaper reported Wednesday.
Along with Sayedee, the tribunal will also hear bail petitions filed by the lawyers for four others who have been booked - Jamaat`s chief Motiur Rahman Nizami, its secretary general Ali Ahsan Muhammad Mojahid, and two senior secretary generals Muhammad Kamaruzzaman and Abdul Quader Molla.
The five are accused of belonging to Al Badr, an Islamist militia that looted, raped and murdered pro-freedom people and religious minorities in the run up to the movement that ended with separation from Pakistan.
The five form the first batch of Islamists brought to trial.
The government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina began the trial last month after changing the relevant law and appointing a three-judge tribunal.
Justices A T M Fazle Kabir and A K M Zaheer Ahmed are the other two members of the tribunal.
The tribunal is to hear evidence against an unspecified number of people who are accused of collaborating with then East Pakistan authorities to quell the freedom movement.
Bangladesh says three million people perished during the freedom movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race