Another Tibetan self-immolates in China protest
Beijing: An overseas rights group says another Tibetan has died after setting himself on fire to protest Chinese rule.
The Washington-based International Campaign for Tibet said today that a 24-year-old man set fire to himself Saturday evening in front of a government building in Zeku county in western China`s Qinghai province. It identified him as Sangdag Tsering, father of a 3-year-old.
Dozens of ethnic Tibetans have self-immolated since March 2011. Activists say a recent increase in protests is apparently aimed at sending a message to China`s new Communist leadership, named last week.
The group said local officials called a weekend meeting and announced they would punish families of any other protesters who self-immolate.
A man at the Zeku county party committee, who refused to give his name, declined to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- He has to forgive me someday: Arijit Singh on row with Salman Khan
- IPL 9 Video: This is how Kolkata Knight Riders thank supportive fans!
- Delhi-NCR emerges leader in job creation among 8 cities
- Rahul Gandhi holds 'Mashal Juloos' protest against AAP govt; attempts to corner PM Modi
- We have alternative for Finmeccanica's torpedos: Manohar Parrikar