Another Tibetan self-immolates in China protest
Beijing: An overseas rights group says another Tibetan has died after setting himself on fire to protest Chinese rule.
The Washington-based International Campaign for Tibet said today that a 24-year-old man set fire to himself Saturday evening in front of a government building in Zeku county in western China`s Qinghai province. It identified him as Sangdag Tsering, father of a 3-year-old.
Dozens of ethnic Tibetans have self-immolated since March 2011. Activists say a recent increase in protests is apparently aimed at sending a message to China`s new Communist leadership, named last week.
The group said local officials called a weekend meeting and announced they would punish families of any other protesters who self-immolate.
A man at the Zeku county party committee, who refused to give his name, declined to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read