ANP leader, bodyguard killed in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: A leader of the Awami National Party and his bodyguard were shot dead by unidentified gunmen in northwest Pakistan on Monday, police said.
The gunmen attacked ANP leader Malik Yaqoob`s car at Nowshera in the North West Frontier Province.
Yaqoob and his bodyguard were killed on the spot, police said. No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Over the past year, the Taliban have frequently targeted leaders and workers of the ANP, which rules the NWFP and is part of the ruling coalition at the centre.
The ANP has strongly backed the military operations against the Taliban and ruled out the possibility of holding talks with militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees