`Anti-Americanism won’t end Pak woes`
Islamabad: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Friday that both the United States and Pakistan needed to do more to battle Islamist militancy. She further acknowledged that the ties between the US and Pakistan had reached a turning point.
Addressing a news conference in Islamabad after holding talks with Pakistani leaders, Hillary said, "Pakistan should understand that anti-Americanism and conspiracy theories will not make the problem disappear."
Hillary and Chairman of US Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen met President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani as well as Army chief General Ashfaq Kayani in the highest profile visit since US Navy SEALs killed Osama bin Laden on May 02.
Denying that the meetings were tense, Hillary said she had heard Pakistan commit to "some very specific action".
"I return to Washington ever more committed," to the ties, she added.
“The US and Pakistan have worked together to kill or capture many of these terrorists on Pakistani soil."
Washington is pressing Islamabad to fully grasp the need to quash Islamist militancy amid tense ties over the killing of the al Qaeda leader in Abbottabad.
On Osama bin Laden
Hillary reiterated that there was no evidence that anyone at the highest levels of the Pakistan government knew that Osama bin Laden lived in a garrison town just 50 km away from Islamabad.
However, she added that Pakistani officials had said that "somebody, somewhere" was providing support for bin Laden in Pakistan before he was killed by US forces this month.
Hillary has emphasised the need to continue working closely with Pakistan, but her visit to Islamabad, kept secret for security reasons, came as US lawmakers questioned whether Pakistan should be receiving billions of dollars in aid.
Hillary said any peace deal in Afghanistan will not succeed unless Pakistan is part of the process.
The United States needs Pakistan`s help in negotiating an end to the fighting in Afghanistan because the country is believed to have influence over several insurgent commanders.
Hillary acknowledged this, saying "for reconciliation to succeed Pakistan must be part of this process”.
On Thursday, Hillary said working with Pakistan was a strategic necessity for the United States.
She praised Pakistan as a "good partner" in global efforts to fight terrorism, though she acknowledged that the two countries have disagreed on how hard to fight al Qaeda, Afghan Taliban fighters and other militants.
"We do have a set of expectations that we are looking for the Pakistani government to meet but I want to underscore, in conclusion, that it is not as though they have been on the sidelines," she told a news conference in Paris.
"They have been actively engaged in their own bitter fight with these terrorist extremists."
(With Agencies’ inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'