Anti-India militant groups vow to revenge Afzal`s execution
Islamabad: In a show of strength in the Pakistani capital, several banned anti-India militant groups, including the Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammed, on Wednesday vowed to take "revenge" for the execution of Afzal Guru and step up their "Jihad" in Jammu and Kashmir.
Scores of members of the groups gathered at the National Press Club for a conference organised by the United Jihad Council to pay tribute to Guru, who was hanged in a Delhi jail on Saturday for his role in the 2001 terror attack on the Indian parliament.
Chanting anti-India slogans, leaders of the LeT, JeM, Al Badr Mujahideen, Jamiat-ul-Mujahideen, Harkat-ul-Mujahideen and the United Jihad Council made fiery speeches in which they pledged to continue their jihad in Jammu and Kashmir and other parts of India.
This was the first time in the past four years that the banned groups organised a public gathering in the Pakistani capital though they have held low-key meetings in Rawalpindi and Lahore that were opened to sections of the local media.
Senior JeM leader Mufti Asghar said his group would take revenge against the Indian government and security forces for Guru`s hanging.
"We know how to take revenge and we will take revenge," he said.
United Jihad Council chief Syed Salahuddin, who also heads the Hizb-ul-Mujahideen, claimed in his address that Pakistan was silent on events in Kashmir and the hanging of Guru.
The mujahideen leadership, Salahuddin claimed, believed that the Kashmir issue could be settled only by jihad as talks with India were a waste of time.
However, Salahuddin was flummoxed when a journalist asked him why the United Jihad Council had not organised a gathering to pay tribute to LeT operative Ajmal Kasab after he was hanged last year.
Salahuddin claimed the Jamaat-ud-Dawah and LeT were different organisations and JuD chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed had been cleared of involvement in the Mumbai attacks by Pakistani courts.
"So why protest if they were not involved?" he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015