Anti-Islam film protests in Colombo
Colombo: Thousands of Muslims held a rally in Colombo Monday to protest against an anti-Islam US film.
Police placed barricades near the US embassy to prevent the protestors from getting close to it, Xinhua reported.
"There were around 8,000 protestors clad in white who marched from the Fort area and proceeded along Galle Face to the embassy," police spokesman Ajith Rohana said.
They demanded that the US government take action against the film-makers.
The embassy had posted a notification on its website Sunday requesting the US citizens not to travel to the embassy during demonstrations.
The film "Innocence of Muslims", a brief video of which was released on YouTube, has triggered protests across the Muslim world in which dozens of people have been killed and injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know