Anti-Islam film protests turn violent in Pak, one killed
Karachi: One person was killed and over 50 people, including policemen, were injured after a protest outside a US consulate against an anti-Islam film turned violent here.
Police used water canons and resorted to tear gas and aerial firing yesterday to disperse the Wahdat-e-Muslimeen (MWM) protesters, who had gathered outside the consulate on the Mai Kolachi Road in the Clifton area to denounce the controversial film.
At least 44 policemen, besides 11 protesters, were injured in the clashes, said Mohammad Iqbal, Additional Inspector General (Sindh), adding that three of them were admitted to hospital in critical condition.
"It was supposed to be a peaceful protest but turned violent when the protesters tried to enter the US consulate," he said.
The consulate was shifted to its present location from a security red zone some time back after a bomb attack.
Protesters pelted stones and tried to climb the walls of the building before being brought down by the police.
They demanded a ban on the film in the US and sought expulsion of the US ambassador from Pakistan.
The agitating MWM members, who then moved towards the Saddar area to stage a sit-in, set on fire four police mobiles and three cars besides damaging a bank and petrol pump.
Meanwhile condemning the police action, a senior MWM leader Allama Hasan Zafar Naqvi said it was the right of people to protest any action aimed at defaming Islam or the holy Prophet.
The film, whose clippings were released in the online domain, has drawn widespread condemnation in the Muslim world, and has led to violent protests outside US consulates in many countries around the world.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Mamata Banerjee trying to influence polls with police help: CPI-M
- 63rd National Film Awards: Amitabh Bachchan, Kangana Ranaut receive top honours
- Apple will not be selling used iPhones in India
- Book auto rides on Jugnoo via Facebook messenger through these easy steps
- Find out: What Sunrisers Hyderabad's Yuvraj Singh is doing before his first IPL 9 game