Apologise for 1971 war crimes: Bangladesh to Pak
Dhaka: Bangladesh has sought an apology from Pakistan for war crimes committed during the 1971 war of liberation.
Foreign Minister Dipu Moni sought the formal apology from Islamabad for atrocities committed by the Pakistani military in Bangladesh in 1971, reported Daily Star.
`War crimes` is the expression used to describe offences ranging from rape, loot, arson and killing of unarmed civilians by Islamist militia -- Al Badr, Al Shams and Razakars -- who guided Pakistani soldiers to homes of political workers, artists, writers and Hindus.
Bangladesh, formerly east Pakistan, was created after the Liberation War in December 1971.
"An early resolution of the outstanding issues will enable the existing friendly relations between Bangladesh and Pakistan to make a great leap forward and create a wider space for cooperation," Dipu Moni was quoted as telling Afrasiab Mehdi Hashmi, the new Pakistani envoy to Bangladesh.
Hashmi made his first call on the foreign minister at her office Sunday afternoon.
On duty-waiver for Pakistani products into EU following floods in that country, Dipu Moni said Bangladesh was sympathetic toward the flood victims of Pakistan, but giving trade preference to a country solely on account of natural disasters was unprecedented.
Bangladesh and Pakistan have stressed for an early convening of the Joint Economic Commission (JEC) meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof