Apologise for 1971 war crimes: Bangladesh to Pak
Dhaka: Bangladesh has sought an apology from Pakistan for war crimes committed during the 1971 war of liberation.
Foreign Minister Dipu Moni sought the formal apology from Islamabad for atrocities committed by the Pakistani military in Bangladesh in 1971, reported Daily Star.
`War crimes` is the expression used to describe offences ranging from rape, loot, arson and killing of unarmed civilians by Islamist militia -- Al Badr, Al Shams and Razakars -- who guided Pakistani soldiers to homes of political workers, artists, writers and Hindus.
Bangladesh, formerly east Pakistan, was created after the Liberation War in December 1971.
"An early resolution of the outstanding issues will enable the existing friendly relations between Bangladesh and Pakistan to make a great leap forward and create a wider space for cooperation," Dipu Moni was quoted as telling Afrasiab Mehdi Hashmi, the new Pakistani envoy to Bangladesh.
Hashmi made his first call on the foreign minister at her office Sunday afternoon.
On duty-waiver for Pakistani products into EU following floods in that country, Dipu Moni said Bangladesh was sympathetic toward the flood victims of Pakistan, but giving trade preference to a country solely on account of natural disasters was unprecedented.
Bangladesh and Pakistan have stressed for an early convening of the Joint Economic Commission (JEC) meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon