Appoint NAB chief or face music: Pakistan SC to govt
Islamabad: Peeved at the failure to appoint a chief for Pakistan`s anti-corruption body, the Supreme Court on Friday warned the government to do so soon or be ready to face the consequences.
The order was issued during the hearing of a case pertaining to the appointment of the Chairman of the National Accountability Bureau.
Attorney General Munir Malik requested the court to give more time as the leader of the opposition, who needs to be consulted on the appointment, was out of the country.
Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, who is heading the five-judge bench hearing the case, said it "was not the court`s headache whether the Prime Minister or the opposition leader were in or outside the country".
He said the government should inform the court that the decision was not being implemented.
The court observed that NAB was meant to eliminate corruption but the anti-graft body had been working without a boss for the past three months.
Chaudhry said if the government was serious about appointing the NAB chief, several suspects would have been in jail by now.
The position has been vacant since May 28, when the apex court sent former chairman Fasih Bokhari packing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister