Appoint NAB chief or face music: Pakistan SC to govt
Islamabad: Peeved at the failure to appoint a chief for Pakistan`s anti-corruption body, the Supreme Court on Friday warned the government to do so soon or be ready to face the consequences.
The order was issued during the hearing of a case pertaining to the appointment of the Chairman of the National Accountability Bureau.
Attorney General Munir Malik requested the court to give more time as the leader of the opposition, who needs to be consulted on the appointment, was out of the country.
Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, who is heading the five-judge bench hearing the case, said it "was not the court`s headache whether the Prime Minister or the opposition leader were in or outside the country".
He said the government should inform the court that the decision was not being implemented.
The court observed that NAB was meant to eliminate corruption but the anti-graft body had been working without a boss for the past three months.
Chaudhry said if the government was serious about appointing the NAB chief, several suspects would have been in jail by now.
The position has been vacant since May 28, when the apex court sent former chairman Fasih Bokhari packing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video