`AQ Khan is next target of US agents`
Islamabad: Former Pakistan Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General (r) Mirza Aslam Beg has claimed that the American agents’ network is spreading throughout the country, and that their next target is disgraced Pakistani nuclear scientist Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan.
“(Nuclear scientist) Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan is the next target of US agents,” The Nation quoted Gen Beg, as saying to a TV channel.
“They (the US agents) are working from Karachi to Gilgit under the patronage of former president Gen (r) Pervez Musharraf,” he added.
Khan is known as the architect of Pakistan’s nuclear programme, and is accused of illegally transferring nuke know-how to China, North Korea and Iran.
The US maintains that the AQ Khan network is responsible for some of the most serious cases of nuclear proliferation in recent decades.
“We have worked intensively with Pakistan and other countries to shut down that network,” US State Department spokesperson PJ Crowley said in August last year.
“While AQ Khan himself is out of business, according to the Government of Pakistan, we watch his network very closely for signs that others within his realm are still in business,” he told a regular press briefing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends