AQ Khan’s name not in Exit Control List: Pak Attorney General
Islamabad: The Pakistan Supreme Court has been told that disgraced nuclear scientist Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan’s name does not figure in the Exit Control List (ECL).
During a hearing on a complaint filed by Dr Khan challenging his movement restrictions,
Acting Attorney General of Pakistan (AAG) Shah Khawar informed the three-member Supreme Court bench that Dr Khan was not on the ECL, The Dawn reports.
It may be noted that earlier Dr Khan had laughed off claims regarding his name not featuring in the Exit Control List.
“It is a joke to say I am not on the Exit Control List,” Khan had said.
Khan, in an application to the Supreme Court, had complained that authorities have restricted his movements and that he was being subjected to police brutality while under house arrest.
Taking strong note of Khan’s allegations, the apex court had sought a clarification from the Interior Ministry over the issue.
Responding to the court’s queries, Khawar had then said the government had decided to restrict Dr Khan’s movements after receiving credible information that there is a threat to his life from international agencies.
Khawar also claimed that Khan’s name was not included in the Exit Control List.
It is pertinent to mention here that Dr Khan had challenged his official protocol, terming it a violation of his fundamental rights, following which the Lahore High Court directed the concerned authorities to remove all restrictions on his movements.
However, under intense international pressure, the government appealed against the court’s directives, which saw the court put a stay order on the verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!