AQ Khan`s political party registered to contest Pak election
Islamabad: Disgraced nuclear scientist A Q Khan`s Tehrik-e-Tahaffuz Pakistan is among 19 new parties registered by the election Commission to contest the general election scheduled for early next year.
Khan, 76, was placed under house arrest in 2004 after he confessed on state-run television to running a clandestine nuclear proliferation ring that provided technology and know-how to countries like Libya and North Korea.
However, he is regarded as a hero in Pakistan for his role in the programme to develop nuclear weapons.
In 2009, the government eased restrictions on Khan on the orders of a court.
He set up the Tehrik-e-Tahaffuz Pakistan in July as part of a campaign against corruption.
There was earlier considerable speculation that the nuclear scientist might ally himself with cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party.
Khan has not been able to attract large crowds at rallies and meetings organised by his party though he continues to interact with students at educational institutions across the country.
Khan also writes a column for a leading English daily.
A spokesman for the Tehrik-e-Tahaffuz Pakistan said it was yet to be decided whether Khan himself would contest the upcoming polls, which are expected to be held in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest