Around 200 Afghan militants killed, captured: NATO
Kabul: NATO says an estimated 200 insurgents were killed or captured in two military operations that just ended in eastern Afghanistan.
German Brigadier General Carsten Jacobson, a spokesman for the US-led coalition in Afghanistan, told reporters on Monday that the operations, which lasted about a week, were led by Afghan security forces with the support of coalition troops. They were aimed at disrupting militant groups, including the al Qaeda and Taliban-affiliated Haqqani network.
Jacobson says that at least 20 insurgents with links to Haqqani were among those killed and captured in the operations conducted in provinces south of Kabul and in areas around the capital and in eastern Afghanistan.
The forces also seized more than 400 kilograms of explosives, weapons, munitions and computers.
NATO has stepped up its focus on eastern Afghanistan, in areas along the Pakistani border. The al Qaeda and Taliban-linked Haqqani use Pakistan as a safe haven and the US and Afghanistan have urged Islamabad to act against the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’