Arrest PM Raja Pervez Ashraf within 24 hours: Pakistan SC
Islamabad: In a major blow to Pakistan government and the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), the Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf in the Rs 22 billion Rental Power Projects (RPP) scam.
A three-member bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry ordered the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to arrest 16 accused including the PM within 24 hours and present them before the court tomorrow.
The SC had earlier ordered to the NAB to fix criminal liability in the case.
PM Ashraf, three ex-Cabinet ministers and four former secretaries of government departments are accused in the case.
The PM is facing accusations of having received bribes and commission in 2008 when he served as the federal minister for water and power. He has however denied accepting bribes when approving power generation projects in 2010.
PM Ashraf also came to be known as ‘Raja Rental’ after he was named as an accused in the case. He is also facing allegations of buying property in London from wealth amassed through involvement in various scams.
The development came on a day when influential cleric Dr Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri put the Pakistani government on notice and demanded the President and Prime Minister resign immediately.
Following today`s Supreme Court order, sources said that Ashraf has summoned a meeting of close ministers for consultations.
Ashraf is waiting for the detailed Supreme Court order after which he would consult Zardari, they said.
Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira also said Ashraf and the Law Ministry had not received the written order of the Supreme Court. He was quoted as saying that people would not let democracy be derailed.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik separately told reporters that the Supreme Court order was unexpected.
In March last year, the apex court declared all contracts signed by the government for "rental power plants" as illegal and directed authorities to take legal action against those responsible for clearing the projects, including Ashraf.
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB), the country`s main anti-corruption agency, had so far refused to act on the court`s directive.
During today`s hearing, the bench issued a notice for contempt of court to NAB chief Fasih Bukhari.
Qadri made the demand while spearheading a million-man march at Islamabad’s Jinnah Avenue.
Qadri’s supporters could be seen in Pakistan television images as celebrating and triumphantly applauding as news came.
Many in Pakistan are linking the SC order to the protest by Qadri, who is widely believed to be backed by elements of the judiciary and military.
It may be noted that Ashraf took over as Prime Minister last June after his predecessor Yousuf Raza Gilani was convicted in a contempt of court case.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department