Arrest warrant issued for ex-Afghan bank chief
Kabul: The former head of the Afghan central bank will be prosecuted for his alleged role in the failure of the nation’s largest private lender, the Afghan attorney general’s office said on Tuesday.
Abdul Qadir Fitrat, who has fled to the United States, and other officials at the central bank face allegations of failing to act on warnings about widespread corruption at Kabul Bank, which nearly collapsed last year because of mismanagement and questionable lending practices, said Deputy Attorney General Rahmatullah Nazari.
An arrest warrant for Fitrat has been sent to Interpol and the US embassy in Kabul to return him to Afghanistan for questioning, he said.
Fitrat announced his resignation on Monday after fleeing to the United States and receiving threats to his life, he said. He contends that he and other bank officials charged with overseeing the nation’s financial system are being made scapegoats while the Afghan government refuses to charge politically connected individuals involved in making or receiving hundreds of millions of dollars in questionable loans.
“Since I exposed the fraudulent practices on April 27 in Parliament I have received information about threats on my life,’’ Fitrat said in a phone interview on Monday from a hotel in Northern Virginia.
“To date, there is no information of any credible plan to try and prosecute these suspects for the crimes they have allegedly committed,’’ he said.
Fitrat added that he has permanent resident status in the United States and would not be returning to Afghanistan.
The embattled Kabul Bank has become a symbol of the country’s corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli