Arrest warrant issued for ex-Bangladesh PM`s son
Dhaka: A Bangladesh court on Monday issued an arrest warrant for former prime minister Khaleda Zia`s son for allegedly transferring millions of dollars in bribes overseas.
A special court indicted Tarique Rahman, Zia`s oldest son, in absentia along with one of his businessman friends.
The friend, Giasuddin Al Mamun, was present in court and pleaded innocent.
Rahman travelled to London for medical treatment in 2008 and has refused to return home to attend the court hearings.
Prosecutors say Rahman and Mamun transferred USD 2.73 million to Singapore after receiving it in bribes from a company for help in obtaining a contract to construct a power plant while his mother was prime minister.
Defence lawyers argued that the court should not issue the indictment because a petition by Rahman arguing that the case was politically motivated remains pending with the Supreme Court. But the court ruled Monday that there was no problem with proceeding with the case.
In June, Zia`s younger son was sentenced to six years in jail on charges of laundering money from bribes.
Zia`s opposition party has denied all charges against the sons, saying they are aimed at destroying her family`s reputation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India