Ashraf asks opposition party to propose caretaker PM names
Islamabad: Ahead of the general elections, Pakistan Premier Raja Pervez Ashraf today asked the main opposition party PML-N to propose names of two "eminently qualified" persons for appointment as caretaker Prime Minister.
The current Pakistan Peoples Party-led government will complete its term on March 17 and a caretaker setup will be installed to supervise parliamentary elections to be held in two months.
Under the constitutional provisions the government and the main opposition party Pakistan Muslim League-N will nominate a consensus caretaker Prime Minister.
The Prime Minister sent a letter to leader of the opposition in the National Assembly Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan requesting him to propose two names for the caretaker Prime Minister post, the Prime Minister`s office said.
"I would request you as Leader of the Opposition, to propose names of persons who in your opinion are eminently qualified to be appointed as caretaker Prime Minister of Pakistan," Prime Minster Raja Pervez Ashraf said in his letter.
"It is imperative that we initiate the process under the Constitution to arrive at a consensus on the appointment of caretaker Prime Minister who could uphold the national interest and ensure free? fair and transparent elections," he said.
Ashraf said that the country is now poised for general elections with the likely dissolution of the National Assembly on the expiry of its term.
The letter said that the National Assembly, or Lower House of the parliament, will achieve the milestone of completing its tenure by the middle of next month.
"It will be a historic achievement signifying the maturity and sagacity of the political parties in the country," the letter said.
Opposition sources said that the opposition leader has received the letter and he is in the process of finalising names for the position.
According to Pakistan`s constitution if the government and the opposition failed to agree on a caretaker Prime Minister, then the issue will be referred to the Chief Election Commissioner to nominate a person for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read