Ashraf asks opposition party to propose caretaker PM names
Islamabad: Ahead of the general elections, Pakistan Premier Raja Pervez Ashraf today asked the main opposition party PML-N to propose names of two "eminently qualified" persons for appointment as caretaker Prime Minister.
The current Pakistan Peoples Party-led government will complete its term on March 17 and a caretaker setup will be installed to supervise parliamentary elections to be held in two months.
Under the constitutional provisions the government and the main opposition party Pakistan Muslim League-N will nominate a consensus caretaker Prime Minister.
The Prime Minister sent a letter to leader of the opposition in the National Assembly Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan requesting him to propose two names for the caretaker Prime Minister post, the Prime Minister`s office said.
"I would request you as Leader of the Opposition, to propose names of persons who in your opinion are eminently qualified to be appointed as caretaker Prime Minister of Pakistan," Prime Minster Raja Pervez Ashraf said in his letter.
"It is imperative that we initiate the process under the Constitution to arrive at a consensus on the appointment of caretaker Prime Minister who could uphold the national interest and ensure free? fair and transparent elections," he said.
Ashraf said that the country is now poised for general elections with the likely dissolution of the National Assembly on the expiry of its term.
The letter said that the National Assembly, or Lower House of the parliament, will achieve the milestone of completing its tenure by the middle of next month.
"It will be a historic achievement signifying the maturity and sagacity of the political parties in the country," the letter said.
Opposition sources said that the opposition leader has received the letter and he is in the process of finalising names for the position.
According to Pakistan`s constitution if the government and the opposition failed to agree on a caretaker Prime Minister, then the issue will be referred to the Chief Election Commissioner to nominate a person for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India