Attack on Malala exposed `extremist mindset` in Pak: Kayani
Islamabad: Pakistan`s powerful Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani Wednesday visited a teenage rights activist grievously injured by Taliban militants as he warned that the "heinous" attack on the girl had clearly exposed the "extremist mindset" confronting the nation.
14-year-old schoolgirl Malala Yousufzai -- who was shot in the head by the militants yesterday in the former Taliban stronghold of Swat which is located 160 km from Islamabad -- has "become a symbol for the values that the Army, with the nation behind it, is fighting to preserve for our future generations," Kayani said.
"These are the intrinsic values of an Islamic society, based on the principles of liberty, justice and equality of man," said the Army Chief, who visited a military hospital in Peshawar to meet Malala.
Kayani used the occasion to send out a message to the militants, saying incidents like the attack on Malala "clearly expose the extremist mindset the nation is facing."
He said the terrorists had underestimated the "resolve and resilience" of the people.
"It is time we further unite and stand up to fight the propagators of such barbaric mindset and their sympathisers," he said.
"We wish to bring home a simple message: we refuse to bow before terror. We will fight, regardless of the cost, we will prevail Insha Allah," Kayani was quoted as saying in a statement issued by the military.
However, the Army Chief, who condemned the attack on Malala as a "heinous act of terrorism," did not directly refer in his remarks to the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, which has claimed responsibility for the incident.
A group of doctors performed a three-hour-long surgery today to remove a bullet lodged near the spine of Malala, who was attacked by the Taliban for speaking out against the atrocities of militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre