Attack on Sarabjit: 3 Pak prison officials suspended
Lahore: A week after Indian national Sarabjit Singh was fatally attacked within a Pakistani jail, authorities on Friday suspended three senior prison officials over the incident.
The Home Secretary of Punjab province suspended the three officials from service for alleged negligence that led to the brutal attack on Sarabjit within Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The three officials are Kot Lakhpat Jail Superintendent Mohsin Rafique, Additional Superintendent Ishtiaq Gill and Deputy Superintendent Ghulam Sarwar Sumra, official sources said.
Kamran Anjum, Raza Mahmood Zeman and Noor Hasan replaced them as superintendent, additional superintendent and deputy superintendent, respectively, the sources said.
Sarabjit, 49, died early yesterday after being comatose for nearly a week since the attack by other prisoners on April 26. Two death row prisoners have been booked on murder charges for the assault.
The Indian national was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bombings in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990. His family says he was the victim of mistaken identity and had mistakenly strayed across the border in an inebriated state. Pakistani rights activists too had called for the reopening of his case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog