Attack on Sarabjit: 3 Pak prison officials suspended
Lahore: A week after Indian national Sarabjit Singh was fatally attacked within a Pakistani jail, authorities on Friday suspended three senior prison officials over the incident.
The Home Secretary of Punjab province suspended the three officials from service for alleged negligence that led to the brutal attack on Sarabjit within Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The three officials are Kot Lakhpat Jail Superintendent Mohsin Rafique, Additional Superintendent Ishtiaq Gill and Deputy Superintendent Ghulam Sarwar Sumra, official sources said.
Kamran Anjum, Raza Mahmood Zeman and Noor Hasan replaced them as superintendent, additional superintendent and deputy superintendent, respectively, the sources said.
Sarabjit, 49, died early yesterday after being comatose for nearly a week since the attack by other prisoners on April 26. Two death row prisoners have been booked on murder charges for the assault.
The Indian national was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bombings in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990. His family says he was the victim of mistaken identity and had mistakenly strayed across the border in an inebriated state. Pakistani rights activists too had called for the reopening of his case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder