Attack on Sarabjit: 3 Pak prison officials suspended
Lahore: A week after Indian national Sarabjit Singh was fatally attacked within a Pakistani jail, authorities on Friday suspended three senior prison officials over the incident.
The Home Secretary of Punjab province suspended the three officials from service for alleged negligence that led to the brutal attack on Sarabjit within Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The three officials are Kot Lakhpat Jail Superintendent Mohsin Rafique, Additional Superintendent Ishtiaq Gill and Deputy Superintendent Ghulam Sarwar Sumra, official sources said.
Kamran Anjum, Raza Mahmood Zeman and Noor Hasan replaced them as superintendent, additional superintendent and deputy superintendent, respectively, the sources said.
Sarabjit, 49, died early yesterday after being comatose for nearly a week since the attack by other prisoners on April 26. Two death row prisoners have been booked on murder charges for the assault.
The Indian national was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bombings in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990. His family says he was the victim of mistaken identity and had mistakenly strayed across the border in an inebriated state. Pakistani rights activists too had called for the reopening of his case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...