Attack on team of polio vaccinators in Pakistan kills one
Islamabad: Militants on Monday attacked a team of polio vaccinators in the restive Bajaur tribal region of northwest Pakistan, killing a security personnel.
The members of the polio vaccination team were unharmed, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The attackers gunned down a paramilitary personnel protecting the vaccinators.
Pakistan is one of only three countries where the polio virus is endemic.
Taliban factions in the country`s northwest have banned polio vaccination campaigns over the past two years.
Health experts have estimated that thousands of children have been left vulnerable to polio in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province and the tribal areas.
In April, a policeman was killed and another seriously injured when militants attacked a team of polio vaccinators in Mardan town of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
In January, six women and a man working for a NGO involved in the polio vaccination campaign were shot dead in Swabi district.
In December, eight volunteers involved in a polio vaccination drive were gunned down in a string of attacks in the southern port city of Karachi and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
The attacks prompted UN agencies to withdraw their workers from the campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it