Attack on team of polio vaccinators in Pakistan kills one
Islamabad: Militants on Monday attacked a team of polio vaccinators in the restive Bajaur tribal region of northwest Pakistan, killing a security personnel.
The members of the polio vaccination team were unharmed, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The attackers gunned down a paramilitary personnel protecting the vaccinators.
Pakistan is one of only three countries where the polio virus is endemic.
Taliban factions in the country`s northwest have banned polio vaccination campaigns over the past two years.
Health experts have estimated that thousands of children have been left vulnerable to polio in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province and the tribal areas.
In April, a policeman was killed and another seriously injured when militants attacked a team of polio vaccinators in Mardan town of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
In January, six women and a man working for a NGO involved in the polio vaccination campaign were shot dead in Swabi district.
In December, eight volunteers involved in a polio vaccination drive were gunned down in a string of attacks in the southern port city of Karachi and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
The attacks prompted UN agencies to withdraw their workers from the campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- US forces on ground in Syria aiding key anti-IS fight
- See pics: Tim Kopra shares exquisite scenic views of two places in Africa!
- Labour reforms not essential for industrial growth: FM Jaitley
- PM Narendra Modi's Pakistan policy is courageous and realistic, believe 79% Indians: Survey on 2 years of NDA
- Investor wealth surges by over Rs 2.69 lakh crore in three days