Australia-bound Tamils arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Colombo: A total of 80 would be asylum seekers to Australia, all of them Tamils, were arrested in Sri Lanka`s northern region by the Navy on Sunday.
The arrest came as the group was departing Point Pedro in the northern Jaffna peninsula, Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said, adding that among the arrested, 38 were men, 28 women and 14 children.
Warnakulasuriya said all of them Tamils are being escorted by the Navy to the Kankesanturai harbour and they would thereafter be handed over to the police.
The latest arrest of would be asylum seekers to Australia came after over 100 such people have been arrested last week.
Australia had sent back at least 1004 Sri Lankan illegal immigrants since mid August last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Asaram Bapu shown as 'saint' in Rajasthan school book
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown