Australia-bound Tamils arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Colombo: A total of 80 would be asylum seekers to Australia, all of them Tamils, were arrested in Sri Lanka`s northern region by the Navy on Sunday.
The arrest came as the group was departing Point Pedro in the northern Jaffna peninsula, Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said, adding that among the arrested, 38 were men, 28 women and 14 children.
Warnakulasuriya said all of them Tamils are being escorted by the Navy to the Kankesanturai harbour and they would thereafter be handed over to the police.
The latest arrest of would be asylum seekers to Australia came after over 100 such people have been arrested last week.
Australia had sent back at least 1004 Sri Lankan illegal immigrants since mid August last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert