Australia to consider more assistance for Lankan IDP
Colombo: Expressing satisfaction over the
expeditious resettlement of the Tamil IDPs in Wanni, Australia
has assured Sri Lanka that it would consider more assistance.
"With the post conflict process now underway in Sri
Lanka, Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith agreed to
consider providing more assistance to Sri Lanka for the
ongoing resettlement and reconstruction programmes," Sri
Lankan Foreign Ministry said in a statement here.
This issue came up for a discussion when Sri Lankan
Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama had held a meeting with
his Australian counterpart Stephen Smith late last week on the
sidelines of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting
(CHOGM) in Port of Spain, it said.
"Australian Foreign Minister during the meeting stated
that he welcomed the early resettlement of the IDP from the
welfare villages and recent announcement regarding the freedom
of movement of those remaining IDP in the welfare villages,"
the statement said.
Recalling his recent visit to Sri Lanka, Smith has
said this had afforded him an opportunity to get first hand
experience about the positive development in the post conflict
phase, the statement said.
Smith also thanked the Government of Sri Lanka for its
support in minimising illegal migration from this country to
Australia. Referring excellent bilateral relations between Sri
Lanka and Australia, Bogollagama expressed confidence that
this relationship would further enhance in the years to come.
Meanwhile, during a meeting with his Canadian
counterpart Lawrence Cannon, Bogollagama has exchanged views
on assistance required with regard to reconstruction in the
post conflict phase in Sri Lanka.
Bogollagama has recalled with appreciation Cannon`s
visits during this year which he said had contributed to
bringing about greater understanding on the requirements for
the resettlement on the IDPs, the ministry statement said.
Referring to the large Sri Lankan Diaspora in Canada,
Cannon has said they play an important role in Canadian
political, economic, social and cultural spheres.
Bogollagama`s discussions with his two counterparts
also have centered on regional and international issues of
mutual concern, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015