Authorities strips BNP leader`s VIP status after verdict in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladeshi authorities have stripped BNP lawmaker Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury of his privileged status in jail after a special tribunal sentenced him to death for crimes against humanity during the 1971 liberation war.
"He has been shifted to a cell (earmarked for death penalty convicts) at the (suburban) Kashimpur Central Jail," a prison official told reporters, a day after the International Crimes Tribunal sentenced Chowdhury to death.
Jailer Mojibur Rahman said Chowdhury was transferred to Kashimpur under heavy security from Dhaka Central Jail last night to be kept in isolation in a small room called the "condemned cell" to await execution, which is expected after a few legal procedures.
Chowdhury, 65, was brought to Dhaka Central Jail from Kashimpur two days ago before the tribunal delivered its judgement. He earlier enjoyed "division status" in jail in view of his status as a lawmaker and former minister.
The tribunal yesterday sentenced Chowdhury to death, saying nine out of 23 charges of "crimes against humanity" against him were proved "beyond reasonable doubt".
Chowdhury`s lawyers have said an appeal against the verdict would be filed in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah