Authorities strips BNP leader`s VIP status after verdict in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladeshi authorities have stripped BNP lawmaker Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury of his privileged status in jail after a special tribunal sentenced him to death for crimes against humanity during the 1971 liberation war.
"He has been shifted to a cell (earmarked for death penalty convicts) at the (suburban) Kashimpur Central Jail," a prison official told reporters, a day after the International Crimes Tribunal sentenced Chowdhury to death.
Jailer Mojibur Rahman said Chowdhury was transferred to Kashimpur under heavy security from Dhaka Central Jail last night to be kept in isolation in a small room called the "condemned cell" to await execution, which is expected after a few legal procedures.
Chowdhury, 65, was brought to Dhaka Central Jail from Kashimpur two days ago before the tribunal delivered its judgement. He earlier enjoyed "division status" in jail in view of his status as a lawmaker and former minister.
The tribunal yesterday sentenced Chowdhury to death, saying nine out of 23 charges of "crimes against humanity" against him were proved "beyond reasonable doubt".
Chowdhury`s lawyers have said an appeal against the verdict would be filed in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!