Ballistic underwear for US Marines in Afghanistan
Washington: The United States would soon provide its Marines in Afghanistan with new ballistic underwear to protect them from improvised explosive devices.
The Pentagon has reportedly ordered for 27,500 ballistic undergarments for USD 2 million this month.
“Such underwear will drastically improve casualty recovery and reduce secondary infections,” The Washington Post quoted the solicitation notice, as saying.
The ``ballistic boxers``, which are made from heavy silk and look like professional cycling shorts, are not bulletproof, but specially made to protect soldiers` genitals from damage when sand shoots up at them after an explosion.
They also have an antibacterial treatment that helps reducing the risk of infection.
These special underwears are reportedly important in places like Helmand province, where patrols in agricultural areas must be done on foot on narrow, and often mined paths, and irrigation canals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued