Balochistan unrest: Pak Army chief will be summoned, says CJ
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry on Monday expressed displeasure at a top general`s remarks on the law and order problems in Balochistan province and cautioned that the army chief could be summoned to the court.
A three-judge bench headed by the Chief Justice was conducting a hearing on the law and order situation in Balochistan, particularly the issue of "missing persons" or those detained without charge by security agencies, when Chaudhry made the remarks.
He expressed his displeasure at a news conference held in Quetta on June 2 by the Inspector General of the Frontier Corps, Maj Gen Obaidullah Khan Khattak, and said it was not the business of an uniformed official to hold press conferences.
He further said the news conference violated the court`s orders.
The Chief Justice said the court wanted to know what the role of the constitutional government was and that the time had come to summon "someone with authority".
Chaudhry cautioned that the apex court would call army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and ask him how the country should be run and what he (the army chief) could do.
During the news conference, Maj Gen Khattak had claimed that Baloch nationalists were running training camps and backing a campaign to defame state institutions.
Khattak blamed "foreign agencies" for the unrest in Balochistan.
However, the Chief Justice remarked that the situation in Balochistan was alarming and unstable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'