Bangla Army clarifies controversy over weapons-laden ship
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Sunday rejected media
reports of a weapon-laden ship bound for Pakistan from its
Chittagong port, saying the vessel was carrying military
supplies of Pakistani and Nepalese peacekeepers deployed on UN
mission in Liberia.
The Karachi-bound cargo vessel MV Aegean Glory from
Bangladesh with military hardware and explosives was detained
by the Indian Navy and Coast Guard personnel in West Bengal on
A battalion of Bangladeshi blue helmet troops deployed
in Liberia returned home on completion of their mission along
with some military equipment onboard MV Aegean Glory which
reached the southeastern Chittagong Port on June 15, the
Bangladesh Army said.
"The ship was also carrying military hardware of
Pakistani and Nepalese contingents in the UN peacekeeping
mission, the ISPR said, adding the ship left Chittagong on
The Army headquarters statement said 32 containers
carrying war weapons and military transports were unloaded in
Chittagong Port as the Bangladeshi peacekeepers disembarked.
The statement came a day after the Indian media
reported, quoting Kolkata police, that Indian authorities had
detained a Pakistan-bound cargo ship with Chittagong being its
last sailing port as it carried a huge quantity of explosives
and other weapons at Diamond Harbour in West Bengal yesterday.
The Army said reports in several Bangladesh newspapers
referring to Indian sources appeared "misleading" and urged
all concerned not to be confused over the issue.
The media report said Indian police, Coast Guard and
Navy were cordoning off the ship, searching it and verifying
documents while men aboard the ship were being interrogated.
The Chittagong Port Authority (CPA), however, said it
was a consignment of Army supplies used by UN mission and
being taken to Karachi for unloading.
CPA chairman RU Ahmed told The Daily Star newspaper
that some equipment used by UN mission were unloaded at the
port on June 15 under supervision. He said equipment used by
peacekeepers are usually carried in and out through this way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray