Bangla court jails lecturer for FB threats to PM
Dhaka: A 28-year-old university lecturer in Bangladesh was on Thursday sentenced to seven-year imprisonment for threatening to kill Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and defaming her on Facebook.
Hafizur Rahman Rana was handed down the jail term in absentia by Dhaka`s Metropolitan Sessions Judge Zahurul.
"BUET (Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology) lecturer Hafizur Rahman Rana has been sentenced to seven years of imprisonment under the Information and Communication Technology Act and Penal Code," a court official said.
Rana, who went into hiding after obtaining a bail, reportedly called Hasina a "hyena" and sought his death in the Facebook posting in April this year.
However, the junior professor of mechanical engineering department of the leading technology university earlier claimed he had actually sought elimination of corruption and misrule and the animal named in the posting was not meant for Hasina.
Under the verdict, the sentence would be counted from the day he would be arrested or give in to serve the term.
He is the second Bangladeshi to receive a punitive actions for threatening the Prime Minister on Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble