Bangla EC recognizes sex workers as professionals
Dhaka: For the first time, Bangladesh`s
Election Commission (EC) has recognized sex workers among the
list of 15 professional groups in the country`s new electoral
database and national identity cards.
"The Commission has decided to acknowledge 15 more
professions including sex workers and journalists while the
existing EC list named 25 professions," an Election Commission
spokesman told agency.
Chief Election Commissioner A T M Shamsul Huda yesterday
took the decision which also recognised clerics, nurses,
hairdressers, laundrymen, maids and domestic helps, gardeners,
cleaners, cook, tailors, driver as job titles, he said.
Previously, they had to register themselves in `Others`
category in the list of professionals while filling up the
prescribed forms for voter list and national identity cards.
"If anyone wants to put sex work as a profession, we will
recognise that," Election Commissioner Sakhawat Hossain said.
Sex is a taboo in Muslim majority Bangladesh, but a woman
can register herself as a prostitute through district
No official figure was available immediately to ascertain
the number of sex workers in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi