Bangla EC recognizes sex workers as professionals
Dhaka: For the first time, Bangladesh`s
Election Commission (EC) has recognized sex workers among the
list of 15 professional groups in the country`s new electoral
database and national identity cards.
"The Commission has decided to acknowledge 15 more
professions including sex workers and journalists while the
existing EC list named 25 professions," an Election Commission
spokesman told agency.
Chief Election Commissioner A T M Shamsul Huda yesterday
took the decision which also recognised clerics, nurses,
hairdressers, laundrymen, maids and domestic helps, gardeners,
cleaners, cook, tailors, driver as job titles, he said.
Previously, they had to register themselves in `Others`
category in the list of professionals while filling up the
prescribed forms for voter list and national identity cards.
"If anyone wants to put sex work as a profession, we will
recognise that," Election Commissioner Sakhawat Hossain said.
Sex is a taboo in Muslim majority Bangladesh, but a woman
can register herself as a prostitute through district
No official figure was available immediately to ascertain
the number of sex workers in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations