Bangla HC orders security for Hindus in violence-hit area
Dhaka: Bangladesh High Court on Sunday ordered the government to take steps for the security of the minority Hindu community in southeastern Begumganj where suspected rightwing activists attacked several temples and houses during clashes over 1971 war crimes trial in the past three days.
"The court asked the government to take steps to ensure the minority community`s security and repair their temples and houses which were damaged in the attacks," a spokesman of the attorney general`s office told PTI.
He said the High Court bench comprising judges AHM Shamsuddin Chowdhury and Mahmudul Haque issued a suo moto notice ordering the local district and police administration, the home secretary and the inspector general of police "to take proper action against persons responsible for ransacking and damaging the houses, temples and other places of worship".
The order came as several newspapers and television channels published and telecast the news of ransacking and torching of houses of Hindus and their temples by fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami activists on Thursday as part of their violent campaign to thwart the ongoing trial of their leaders for 1971 war crimes.
The reports said at least five temples and 36 Hindu houses were vandalised or torched at Begumganj sub-district of Noakhali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar