Bangla Parliament mourn Basu`s death; Hasina pays tribute
Dhaka: Describing Marxist veteran Jyoti Basu
as a long-standing friend of Bangladesh, the country`s
Parliament and cabinet have mourned his death, with premier
Sheikh Hasina saying that she has lost a "guardian".
"The legendary figure of the left-leaning politics will
be remembered in the politics of the sub-continent for his
extra-ordinary sacrifice and struggle," said a resolution
passed today by a meeting of cabinet chaired by Hasina.
The resolution said "Bangladesh lost a long-standing
friend at his death" and the people of the country would
particularly recall "with gratitude" his contribution in
ensuring Bangladesh`s justified share in the Ganges water.
The cabinet resolution came after Parliament last evening
adopted a unanimous resolution also recalling Basu`s
contribution to the 1971 Liberation War.
"Jyoti Basu was not a name for South Asia, he was an
institution ... a guardian in politics in the sub-continent,"
Hasina told the House as it passed the resolution after nearly
an hour of discussion on the condolence motion.
"India lost a great leader and great politician on his
death. Bangladesh lost a well-wisher and I personally lost a
guardian," Hasina said in an emotion-choked voice.
She also recalled Basu`s role in Bangladesh government`s
move to bring back thousands of refugees from India after
signing the landmark 1997 Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Treaty
inked during her previous 1996-2001 tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'