Bangla PM`s aide accuses WB of engaging spy network
Dhaka: The controversy over a multi-billion bridge project in Bangladesh today took a ugly turn with a top official accusing the World Bank of engaging a spy network in Dhaka which is dishing out "misleading" information to the global lender.
"There`s a World Bank spy network here (Dhaka)... They have passed on false and misleading information to the Bank," Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s economic affairs adviser Moshiur Rahman told newsmen.
Rahman, a bureaucrat-turned-technocrat adviser with ministerial status, also dismissed media reports that he went for a long leave for his alleged involvement in the "corruption conspiracy" over the Padma Bridge as the government was desperately trying to revive the loan deal.
"No such thing happened (going on leave)... But the more important matter is -- we all should ask the World Bank who are misleading them with false information," he said.
The World Bank earlier promised to provide USD 1.2 billion of the USD 2.93 billion project but kept suspended the disbursement process raising the graft allegation.
On June 29, the global lending agency eventually scrapped the deal saying the government did not respond in an excepted manner to their complaint about the "high level corruption conspiracy" involving Bangladeshi officials, executives of a Canadian firm and private individuals.
Rahman`s comments came as two fellow advisers to the premier flew off to the global lending agency`s headquarters in Washington to pursue them to reinstate the USD 1.2 billion loan agreement.
The Asian Development Bank had also pledged a USD 615 million loan for the bridge`s construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'