Bangladesh apex court clears way for Jamaat leader`s execution
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s Supreme Court today cleared the way for the execution of a senior leader of the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami, three months after it overturned a tribunal`s ruling that sentenced him to life for genocide during the 1971 war.
The apex court headed by Chief Justice M Muzammel Hossain issued the full text of the verdict given in September to award the death penalty to Abdul Quader Mollah, an assistant secretary general of Jamaat, reversing the special tribunal`s verdict.
The announcement is likely to spark fresh violence at a time when the country is witnessing widespread clashes over the upcoming general elections.
"The countdown for executing the verdict began today ... under the jail code the jail authorities must execute the judgement in between 21 and 28th days of receipt of the copy," senior prosecution lawyer Rana Dasgupta said.
He, however, said a copy of the judgement was already sent directly to the concerned government representative or Dhaka`s district magistrate, who is also the custodian of jail, to carryout the subsequent procedures under the law.
Mollah, 65, the fourth senior most Jamaat leader, is the first politician to be found guilty by the Supreme Court.
The prosecution lawyers said after the final verdict Mollah could now only seek presidential clemency within next seven days but the defence counsels said they would seek a revision of the judgement by the apex court itself under the law.
"I, however, don`t think he (Mollah) has the scope to seek the revision since he was tried under a special law International Crimes Tribunal Act which kept no provision for such review unlike the other criminal cases tried under the ordinary law," Law Minister Shafique Ahmed said.
Mollah is currently lodged in Sybarban Kashimpur Central Jail since September 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy