Bangladesh Army to ensure peace during polls
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s Election Commission (EC) has decided to deploy the army for a 15-day period, beginning from Dec 26 in a move to ensure free, fair and peaceful parliamentary elections in the country.
Chief Election Commissioner Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad informed reporters about the commission`s decision Friday evening following a law-and-order meeting, bdnews24.com reported.
Four Election Commissioners, EC Secretary, returning officers, top officials of the armed forces, police, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) and Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) attended the meet.
Meanwhile, the country`s Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu reiterated that door for talks to reach a political agreement, within the purview of the Constitution, with the opposition remains open.
Speaking during a discussion at the Institution of Diploma Engineers here, the minister said candidates had already launched electoral campaign but the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its ally Jamaat-e-Islami were carrying out sabotage, boycotting the scheduled Jan 5 general elections.
Stating that BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia had wasted time by evading dialogue, the minister said elections were not the target of the opposition, but foiling the war criminals` trial. The 10th parliamentary elections would not be held to occupy power but to uphold the Constitution, the minister added.
On Thursday, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said there was still scope for the opposition to participate in the parliamentary polls. She said a fresh election would be held after dissolving the 10th parliament if an understanding was reached, but for that the BNP must shun violence and sever ties with the Jamaat-e-Islami.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked