Bangladesh arrests man over Saudi diplomat SMS
Dhaka: Detectives in Bangladesh`s capital have arrested a former Saudi Embassy employee for allegedly threatening the mission`s charge d`affaires.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police official Khandaker Lutful Kabir said today that police arrested 57-year-old A N M Rashid Ahmed for allegedly sending a threatening SMS to diplomat Sami-Jamiul-Al-Hasan.
Hasan is on leave and received the message in Saudi Arabia.
The police official says Ahmed, a Bangladeshi citizen, was arrested late yesterday after the embassy complained that he sent a message reading: "You will face death if (you) return to Dhaka."
The complaint says the embassy fired Ahmed after accusing him of corruption.
The alleged threat comes three months after a Saudi Embassy official was killed by unidentified assailants in Dhaka.
Police say they are investigating that case but there has been no apparent headway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed