Bangladesh bans Hindi-dubbed Japanese cartoon
Dhaka: Bangladesh has banned a popular Hindi-dubbed Japanese cartoon for its "negative impact" on children but denied the step was taken because the show was telecast in Hindi.
"A circular has been issued asking cable operators not to air Doraemon as it contains scenes where a character frequently lies or tries to escape school work," an Information Ministry spokesman told a news agency.
On Thursday, Information Minister Hasanul Haque Inu had told Parliament that "the government doesn`t want children`s educational atmosphere to be hampered by Doraemon”.
The spokesman, however, denied reports that the ban on Japanese cartoon Doraemon was imposed because it was dubbed in Hindi.
Local media reports had earlier expressed concern that Doraemon addicts preferred to speak in Hindi instead of the native tongue Bengali.
Ruling Awami League lawmaker Shahriar Alam had last week demanded immediate ban on airing of the cartoon Doraemon in the country adding that foreign cartoons should be aired after dubbing them in `Bangla`.
The issue of the cartoon imparting "negative teachings" to young children was raised in Parliament yesterday, after which Inu informed that TV cable operators were sent official notifications to take the series off air.
But despite the ban, the cartoon was still being seen in several areas of country while officials said the errant operators will be asked to enforce the ban.
Japanese manga artist Fujiko F Fujio is the creator of Doraemon who revolves around a robotic cat who travels back in time from the 22nd century to aid a pre-teen boy, Nobita.
Tokyo`s Foreign Ministry appointed Doraemon as its first "anime ambassador" in 2008 in an effort to deepen foreign interest in Japanese culture.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed