Bangladesh building collapse: Haunting pic of couple in final embrace
Zee Media Bureau
Dhaka: Not just the rising death toll, but also a photograph of a couple in the rubble of the collapsed Dhaka building is haunting the minds.
The photograph, clicked by Bangladeshi photographer Taslima Akhter for Time magazine`s LightBox section, shows an unidentified couple in a final embrace.
Half of the bodies of the couple were buried in rubble. A trickle of blood running down one eye of the man sends jitters. This image illustrates the human tragedy of the Dhaka factory disaster, that has killed more than 1,000 people.
The photograph has appeared in this week`s TIME International alongside an essay by David Von Drehle.
The death toll from the garment factory building that collapsed more than two weeks ago outside the Bangladeshi capital soared past 1,000 on Friday, while the list of the dead from a fresh fire at a sweater manufacturer showed the entanglement of the industry and top Bangladeshi officials.
Officials said 1,034 bodies have been recovered from the rubble of the fallen factory building as of Friday morning. There was no sign of where the toll might finally settle as more bodies were being found, but it is already the world`s deadliest garment industry disaster and one of the worst industrial accidents.
The disaster has raised alarm about the often deadly working conditions in Bangladesh`s USD 20 billion garment industry, which provides clothing for major retailers around the globe.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth