Bangladesh building collapse toll hits 715
Savar: The death toll in Bangladesh`s worst industrial disaster rose sharply to 715 as rescuers pulled out 36 more decomposed bodies on Tuesday from the debris of the ill-fated eight-storey building that collapsed last month.
Officials at the makeshift army control room here said the death toll from the deadly building collapse soared to 715 on the 14th day into the disaster.
The number of people rescued alive were 2,437, they said.
The officials, according to local media, said they still expect more bodies from the debris of the illegally constructed Rana Plaza building as many have remained missing.
The building in Savar near the capital Dhaka that housed five garment factories collapsed on April 24. It is yet to be clear how many people were there on that fateful day.
Police have charged the building owner Sohel Rana and five factory owners with causing deaths due to negligence and violating construction laws, charges punishable by a maximum seven years in jail.
According to police, the building owner illegally added three floors and allowed the factories to install generators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says