Bangladesh collapsed building owner charged with murder
Dhaka: Murder charges was today slapped on the owner of the ill-fated eight-storey building that collapsed killing over 600 people with hundreds still missing, making it the worst industrial disaster in Bangladesh`s history.
Murder charges were filed by the wife of a factory worker killed in the disaster against Sohel Rana, owner of the Rana Plaza, which collapsed on April 24 in Savar near the capital Dhaka.
So far, Police had charged Rana and five factory owners with causing death due to negligence and violating construction laws, charges punishable only by a maximum seven years in jail.
Sheuli Akhter, wife of garment worker Jahangir Alam, also filed murder complaints against Savar municipality`s Chief Engineer and New Wave Style Garments` Managing Director Bazlus Samad Adnan in the Chief Metropolitan Magistrates` Court this morning, Bangladeshi news channel `BD24 News` reported.
The court`s Additional Public Prosecutor Anwarul Kabir Babul said that the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate sent the case to the bench of a Senior Magistrate.
Bangladesh`s government has already suspended Savar`s Mayor, Mohammad Refatullah, and arrested an engineer, Abdur Razzaque Khan, who had called for the building`s evacuation last week, but was also accused of helping the owner add three illegal floors to the structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam