Bangladesh collapsed building owner charged with murder
Dhaka: Murder charges was today slapped on the owner of the ill-fated eight-storey building that collapsed killing over 600 people with hundreds still missing, making it the worst industrial disaster in Bangladesh`s history.
Murder charges were filed by the wife of a factory worker killed in the disaster against Sohel Rana, owner of the Rana Plaza, which collapsed on April 24 in Savar near the capital Dhaka.
So far, Police had charged Rana and five factory owners with causing death due to negligence and violating construction laws, charges punishable only by a maximum seven years in jail.
Sheuli Akhter, wife of garment worker Jahangir Alam, also filed murder complaints against Savar municipality`s Chief Engineer and New Wave Style Garments` Managing Director Bazlus Samad Adnan in the Chief Metropolitan Magistrates` Court this morning, Bangladeshi news channel `BD24 News` reported.
The court`s Additional Public Prosecutor Anwarul Kabir Babul said that the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate sent the case to the bench of a Senior Magistrate.
Bangladesh`s government has already suspended Savar`s Mayor, Mohammad Refatullah, and arrested an engineer, Abdur Razzaque Khan, who had called for the building`s evacuation last week, but was also accused of helping the owner add three illegal floors to the structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy