Bangladesh confers highest state honour on Indira
Dhaka: Former Indian Prime Minister
Indira Gandhi was on Monday honoured posthumously with
Bangladesh`s highest state award for her outstanding
contribution to the country`s 1971 `Liberation War`.
Congress Party president Sonia Gandhi, the daughter
-in-law of the assassinated prime minister, received the
"Bangladesh Swadhinata Sanmanona" from President Zillur Rahman
at a grand ceremony attended by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
and nearly 1,000 top dignitaries.
"By her (Indira Gandhi) political wisdom and vision,
she influenced the course of history and the fate of
generations," Rahman said while handing over the posthumous
"I recall with highest gratitude her strong support
for the independence of Bangladesh... by honoring Srimati
Indira Gandhi for her noble contribution for our freedom, we
honor ourselves and revisit the epic of our war of
liberation," he said.
The crest weighing three kilograms is designed on
400-year-old terracotta of a `Kadam tree` made of gold.
Sonia, who arrived here yesterday on a 24-hour visit,
said the award bestowed on the former Indian premier was an
honour for India too.
"The honour is not hers (Indira Gandhi) alone, it`s
India`s," Sonia said receiving the award.
Indira Gandhi made crucial contribution to the
independence of Bangladesh. She traveled across the world to
mobilise support for the people of East Pakistan, which later
became Bangladesh, amid a massive crackdown on civilians by
the Pakistan Army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur