Bangladesh court approves blasphemy trial against bloggers
Dhaka: A court in Bangladesh`s capital Dhaka Sunday gave the go-ahead for the trial of four bloggers in two cases filed for posting "derogatory comments" about Islam and its holy prophet on the internet.
Judge Md Zahirul Haque of the court of metropolitan sessions took cognizance of the charges brought against the bloggers and fixed June 27 for starting the hearing on framing of charges against them, reported Xinhua.
In April this year, police arrested bloggers Asif Mohiuddin, Moshiur Rahman Biplob, Subrata Adhikari Shuvo and Russel Parvez on charges of hurting religious sentiments.
The court granted bail to Biplob but rejected Asif`s bail petition.
Asif and Biplob were arrested April 2 and 3 on the same charges. Shuvo and Parvez, arrested April 2, were given bail May 12.
Police in April submitted probe reports against the bloggers, accusing them of hurting religious sentiments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption