Bangladesh court approves blasphemy trial against bloggers
Dhaka: A court in Bangladesh`s capital Dhaka Sunday gave the go-ahead for the trial of four bloggers in two cases filed for posting "derogatory comments" about Islam and its holy prophet on the internet.
Judge Md Zahirul Haque of the court of metropolitan sessions took cognizance of the charges brought against the bloggers and fixed June 27 for starting the hearing on framing of charges against them, reported Xinhua.
In April this year, police arrested bloggers Asif Mohiuddin, Moshiur Rahman Biplob, Subrata Adhikari Shuvo and Russel Parvez on charges of hurting religious sentiments.
The court granted bail to Biplob but rejected Asif`s bail petition.
Asif and Biplob were arrested April 2 and 3 on the same charges. Shuvo and Parvez, arrested April 2, were given bail May 12.
Police in April submitted probe reports against the bloggers, accusing them of hurting religious sentiments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 58,000 affected in floods in West Bengal, authorities issues red alert in Jalpaiguri
- Salman Khan thanks fans after acquittal in 18-year-old chinkara poaching cases
- "Come join me in the sacred land of ISIS" - Missing Kerala youth invites his family
- Mother, nine-month-old toddler found dead in Gurgaon, dowry death suspected
- Trinamool MP likens West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee to Mother Teresa, Goddess Saraswati