Bangladesh editor arrested after reports on graft
Dhaka: The editor of an online Bangladesh newspaper and weekly magazine that wrote a series of stories on alleged graft linked to government ministers was arrested on Sunday on charges of extortion, police said.
Ekramul Haq, 46, the editor and owner of Sheershanews.com and Weekly Sheershakagoj, was picked up by plainclothed policemen from his home in central Dhaka just before dawn, police sub-inspector Shahida Hossain said.
"We arrested Mr Haq after a businessman filed a case alleging that he demanded two million taka (around USD 25,000) from him. He had threatened to write stories against the businessman," she said.
Haq launched online Bengali newspaper Sheershanews.com two years ago and it has since become a leading website for breaking news.
His weekly has written stories on allegations of graft linked to two ministers, a personal secretary of the premier, bureaucrats and businessmen close to the government, according to Sheernews.com.
The arrest came just two weeks after the government cancelled all media accreditation for the online site and the weekly, prompting protests by the opposition parties, local media rights groups and press clubs.
The government has yet to make any comment on the arrest.
Harunur Rashid, a senior government spokesman, said the media accreditation was cancelled after the website and weekly "violated all norms of journalism and for character assassinations of ministers and officials".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow