Bangladesh editor arrested after reports on graft
Dhaka: The editor of an online Bangladesh newspaper and weekly magazine that wrote a series of stories on alleged graft linked to government ministers was arrested on Sunday on charges of extortion, police said.
Ekramul Haq, 46, the editor and owner of Sheershanews.com and Weekly Sheershakagoj, was picked up by plainclothed policemen from his home in central Dhaka just before dawn, police sub-inspector Shahida Hossain said.
"We arrested Mr Haq after a businessman filed a case alleging that he demanded two million taka (around USD 25,000) from him. He had threatened to write stories against the businessman," she said.
Haq launched online Bengali newspaper Sheershanews.com two years ago and it has since become a leading website for breaking news.
His weekly has written stories on allegations of graft linked to two ministers, a personal secretary of the premier, bureaucrats and businessmen close to the government, according to Sheernews.com.
The arrest came just two weeks after the government cancelled all media accreditation for the online site and the weekly, prompting protests by the opposition parties, local media rights groups and press clubs.
The government has yet to make any comment on the arrest.
Harunur Rashid, a senior government spokesman, said the media accreditation was cancelled after the website and weekly "violated all norms of journalism and for character assassinations of ministers and officials".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India