Bangladesh editor arrested after reports on graft
Dhaka: The editor of an online Bangladesh newspaper and weekly magazine that wrote a series of stories on alleged graft linked to government ministers was arrested on Sunday on charges of extortion, police said.
Ekramul Haq, 46, the editor and owner of Sheershanews.com and Weekly Sheershakagoj, was picked up by plainclothed policemen from his home in central Dhaka just before dawn, police sub-inspector Shahida Hossain said.
"We arrested Mr Haq after a businessman filed a case alleging that he demanded two million taka (around USD 25,000) from him. He had threatened to write stories against the businessman," she said.
Haq launched online Bengali newspaper Sheershanews.com two years ago and it has since become a leading website for breaking news.
His weekly has written stories on allegations of graft linked to two ministers, a personal secretary of the premier, bureaucrats and businessmen close to the government, according to Sheernews.com.
The arrest came just two weeks after the government cancelled all media accreditation for the online site and the weekly, prompting protests by the opposition parties, local media rights groups and press clubs.
The government has yet to make any comment on the arrest.
Harunur Rashid, a senior government spokesman, said the media accreditation was cancelled after the website and weekly "violated all norms of journalism and for character assassinations of ministers and officials".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27