Bangladesh garment factories shut down as workers protest
Zee media Bureau
Dhaka: The owners of garment factories near Dhaka in Bangladesh have decided to pull down the shutters after employees angered by a building collapse last month continue to protest, reports said Tuesday.
The move by the factory owners comes as the death toll from the last month’s building collapse The at Rana Plaza in Savar, reached 1,127.
The decision was announced by Bangladesh’s textile association, reported the BBC.
The massive rescue operation is slated to end today when the Army will hand over the place to the district administration, added the BBC report.
Workers have erupted in protests on a routine basis after the horrific collapse killed more than a thousand.
More than 300 factories have been closed down in Ashulia region near Dhaka as owners are scared of the unrest that has been ignited by the collapse.
A local police chief said that employees in Ashulia carried out protest walks demanding pay hike and also execution of the building owner.
The rage was intensified by the discovery of a female survivor who was alive after 17 days of the collapse.
Thousands of workers vented out their indignation as they vandalized vans and local shops.
Acting in response, the Bangladesh government has decided to hike the salries of garment factory workers, said a media report yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you