Bangladesh garment factories shut down as workers protest
Zee media Bureau
Dhaka: The owners of garment factories near Dhaka in Bangladesh have decided to pull down the shutters after employees angered by a building collapse last month continue to protest, reports said Tuesday.
The move by the factory owners comes as the death toll from the last month’s building collapse The at Rana Plaza in Savar, reached 1,127.
The decision was announced by Bangladesh’s textile association, reported the BBC.
The massive rescue operation is slated to end today when the Army will hand over the place to the district administration, added the BBC report.
Workers have erupted in protests on a routine basis after the horrific collapse killed more than a thousand.
More than 300 factories have been closed down in Ashulia region near Dhaka as owners are scared of the unrest that has been ignited by the collapse.
A local police chief said that employees in Ashulia carried out protest walks demanding pay hike and also execution of the building owner.
The rage was intensified by the discovery of a female survivor who was alive after 17 days of the collapse.
Thousands of workers vented out their indignation as they vandalized vans and local shops.
Acting in response, the Bangladesh government has decided to hike the salries of garment factory workers, said a media report yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India