Bangladesh garment workers paid inhumanly low: PM
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s Prime Minister on Wednesday blasted the garment industry, a mainstay of the impoverished country`s economy, for paying inhumanly low wages, a burning issue that has fuelled unrest and crippled production.
In recent months, thousands of garment workers demanding higher wages have protested on the streets, attacked factories and blockaded highways in and outside the capital, Dhaka.
The country`s garment workers are paid the least in the world and are unable to buy food and arrange shelter on their monthly earnings, according to the International Trade Union Confederation, a Vienna-based labour rights group.
The official minimum wage is USD 25, and the government is negotiating a new minimum that it plans to announce by the end of this month.
"The wages the workers are paid ... is not only insufficient but also inhuman," Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina told Parliament, as she fielded questions from lawmakers.
"They (the manufacturers) should feel that they make profit from exports at the cost of the labourers` hard work," she said.
Workers and labour rights groups have pressed for a monthly wage of USD 73, but Hasina said manufacturers were not willing to meet the workers` demand.
In June, about 700 garment factories in a major industrial hub near Dhaka were shut for two days after days of violent protests by tens of thousands of workers demanding better wages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video