Bangladesh holds re-poll in violence-hit 7 constituencies
Dhaka: Re-polling at 390 centres of seven violence-hit parliamentary constituencies in Bangladesh ended peacefully on Thursday, with nearly 50 per cent turnout.
Re-poll was necessitated at these constituencies following violence and disruption during the January 5 general election.
The Election Commission said voting started at 8 am (local time) and ended at 4 pm.
Election Commission officials said no trouble had been reported from any polling station.
Bdnews24 quoting police reported that six persons were detained in Lakshmipur district for allegedly trying to rig vote.
Many polling stations witnessed almost no voters in the morning due to heavy fog and chilly weather but the number increased as the day progressed, poll panel officials said.
They said today`s turnout was nearly 50 per cent.
The Awami League swept the general election following a boycott by the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).
The BNP-led 18-party opposition alliance boycotted the polls, demanding a neutral caretaker regime to oversee them.
The opposition tried to derail the polls by calling strikes and blockades. Over 160 people were killed in poll-related violence since November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India