Bangladesh Islamist leader sentenced to death for 1971 war crimes
Dhaka: A top leader of the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami party was sentenced to death on Wednesday by a special Bangladeshi tribunal for committing "crimes against humanity" during the country`s 1971 liberation war.
65-year-old Jamaat-e-Islami secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed given death penalty by the International Crimes Tribunal-2, at a jam-packed courtroom here.
"He will be hanged by neck till he is dead," Justice Obaidul Hassa, the chairman of the three-member panel of judges pronounced, reading out the operative part of the verdict.
He said five of the seven charges brought against Mojaheed were "proved beyond doubt" and the court sentenced him to death on two counts for personal involvement in the killings of several pro-liberation activists.
Mojaheed, who was the second in command of infamous Al-Badr militia force, manned mainly by Jamaat`s then student wing, initially looked expressionless as he was brought to the dock but appeared perplexed as the judge handed down the punishment.
Al Badr had systematically killed leading Bengali intelligentsia during the Liberation War as an elite auxiliary force of the Pakistani troops.
Mojaheed was found guilty of "superior responsibility" and "criminal liability" of the atrocities.
The verdict comes two days after Jamaat-e-Islami`s 91-year-old supremo Ghulam Azam was sentenced to 90-years in jail by a tribunal for masterminding atrocities during the war of independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened