Bangladesh Islamist leader sentenced to death for 1971 war crimes
Dhaka: A top leader of the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami party was sentenced to death on Wednesday by a special Bangladeshi tribunal for committing "crimes against humanity" during the country`s 1971 liberation war.
65-year-old Jamaat-e-Islami secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed given death penalty by the International Crimes Tribunal-2, at a jam-packed courtroom here.
"He will be hanged by neck till he is dead," Justice Obaidul Hassa, the chairman of the three-member panel of judges pronounced, reading out the operative part of the verdict.
He said five of the seven charges brought against Mojaheed were "proved beyond doubt" and the court sentenced him to death on two counts for personal involvement in the killings of several pro-liberation activists.
Mojaheed, who was the second in command of infamous Al-Badr militia force, manned mainly by Jamaat`s then student wing, initially looked expressionless as he was brought to the dock but appeared perplexed as the judge handed down the punishment.
Al Badr had systematically killed leading Bengali intelligentsia during the Liberation War as an elite auxiliary force of the Pakistani troops.
Mojaheed was found guilty of "superior responsibility" and "criminal liability" of the atrocities.
The verdict comes two days after Jamaat-e-Islami`s 91-year-old supremo Ghulam Azam was sentenced to 90-years in jail by a tribunal for masterminding atrocities during the war of independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015