Bangladesh Islamist leader sentenced to death for 1971 war crimes
Dhaka: A top leader of the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami party was sentenced to death on Wednesday by a special Bangladeshi tribunal for committing "crimes against humanity" during the country`s 1971 liberation war.
65-year-old Jamaat-e-Islami secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed given death penalty by the International Crimes Tribunal-2, at a jam-packed courtroom here.
"He will be hanged by neck till he is dead," Justice Obaidul Hassa, the chairman of the three-member panel of judges pronounced, reading out the operative part of the verdict.
He said five of the seven charges brought against Mojaheed were "proved beyond doubt" and the court sentenced him to death on two counts for personal involvement in the killings of several pro-liberation activists.
Mojaheed, who was the second in command of infamous Al-Badr militia force, manned mainly by Jamaat`s then student wing, initially looked expressionless as he was brought to the dock but appeared perplexed as the judge handed down the punishment.
Al Badr had systematically killed leading Bengali intelligentsia during the Liberation War as an elite auxiliary force of the Pakistani troops.
Mojaheed was found guilty of "superior responsibility" and "criminal liability" of the atrocities.
The verdict comes two days after Jamaat-e-Islami`s 91-year-old supremo Ghulam Azam was sentenced to 90-years in jail by a tribunal for masterminding atrocities during the war of independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof