Bangladesh Islamist leaders denied bail, told to surrender
Dhaka: The Dhaka High Court has rejected the bail pleas of five Jamaat-e-Islami (JeI) leaders, including its chief Matiur Rahman Nizami, in two cases filed against them for hurting the religious sentiments of Muslims. They were also directed to surrender before the trial court within nine weeks.
Nizami and four others face trial for allegedly seeking to compare Nizami with Prophet Muhammad.
A criminal case was filed at a Dhaka court in March against five JeI leaders, including Nizami and secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed.
According to the complaint, Dhaka city JeI chief Rafiqul Islam Khan at a discussion in Dhaka March 17 compared Nizami to Prophet Muhammad, which hurt the Muslims. The three other accused are Nayebe Ameer (the group`s deputy chief) Delwar Hossain Sayedee, Rafiqul Islam Khan and city president of Islami Chhatra Shibir ASM Yahia.
Besides, court in Lalmonirhat in northern Bangladesh had also issued summons in March to Nizami and three of his party leaders to appear before it May 25 in a case filed on a similar charge.
Syed Rejaul Haque Chandpuri, secretary general of Bangladesh Tarikat Federation, filed the case at a metropolitan magistrate`s court in Dhaka against five JeI leaders.
The court ruling came Sunday as investigators aiding a government-appointed tribunal prepared for holding "war crimes" trial of those who attacked unarmed civilians in the run up to the 1971 freedom movement.
Nizami, then head of the party`s student wing, is one of the prominent accused.
The investigators of war crimes Sunday received a list of 1,775 alleged war criminals and accounts of their role during the liberation war from The War Crimes Facts Finding Committee (WCFFC).
The WCFFC submitted the list and other documents and evidence to help investigators.
WCFFC chief MA Hasan told reporters that most on the list have died and only 400 or 500 are still alive.
The names of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Salauddin Quader Chowdhury, JeI leaders including Nizami, former chief Golam Azam, secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed and assistant secretary general ATM Azharul Islam appeared on the list.
Hasan claims the documents are strong enough to prove the allegations against the war crime suspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'