Bangladesh issues warning as cyclone Mahasen approaches
Dhaka: Maritime ports in Bangladesh were Sunday advised to take adequate precautionary measures as cyclone Mahasen originating in the southeast Bay of Bengal, moved slightly towards the northwest.
"Depression which has already turned into cyclonic storm would likely move initially northwestwards during the next 36 hours and recurve thereafter northeastwards towards the Bangladesh-Myanmar coast," Xinhua cited the Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) as saying in a special weather bulletin.
The bulletin said the cyclone was centred about 1,455 km south-southwest of Bangladesh`s Chittagong seaport.
It said maximum sustained wind speed within 54 km of the storm centre has risen from 62 km per hour to 88 km per hour in gusts/squalls.
A BMD meteorologist said caution has been sounded for all ports and all fishing boats have been advised to remain close to the coast.
They were also advised not to venture into the deep sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof