Bangladesh issues warning as cyclone Mahasen approaches
Dhaka: Maritime ports in Bangladesh were Sunday advised to take adequate precautionary measures as cyclone Mahasen originating in the southeast Bay of Bengal, moved slightly towards the northwest.
"Depression which has already turned into cyclonic storm would likely move initially northwestwards during the next 36 hours and recurve thereafter northeastwards towards the Bangladesh-Myanmar coast," Xinhua cited the Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) as saying in a special weather bulletin.
The bulletin said the cyclone was centred about 1,455 km south-southwest of Bangladesh`s Chittagong seaport.
It said maximum sustained wind speed within 54 km of the storm centre has risen from 62 km per hour to 88 km per hour in gusts/squalls.
A BMD meteorologist said caution has been sounded for all ports and all fishing boats have been advised to remain close to the coast.
They were also advised not to venture into the deep sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch