Bangladesh issues warning as cyclone Mahasen approaches
Dhaka: Maritime ports in Bangladesh were Sunday advised to take adequate precautionary measures as cyclone Mahasen originating in the southeast Bay of Bengal, moved slightly towards the northwest.
"Depression which has already turned into cyclonic storm would likely move initially northwestwards during the next 36 hours and recurve thereafter northeastwards towards the Bangladesh-Myanmar coast," Xinhua cited the Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) as saying in a special weather bulletin.
The bulletin said the cyclone was centred about 1,455 km south-southwest of Bangladesh`s Chittagong seaport.
It said maximum sustained wind speed within 54 km of the storm centre has risen from 62 km per hour to 88 km per hour in gusts/squalls.
A BMD meteorologist said caution has been sounded for all ports and all fishing boats have been advised to remain close to the coast.
They were also advised not to venture into the deep sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days